Friday, June 13, 2008

Head banging

If you happen to read my other blog, you know that the house inspection was both very enlightening and very disheartening. I am sure that the seller signed my offer with trepidation knowing I was having the house inspected. What he should have done was told the truth on the disclosure and saved me time, money and sleepless nights. I am giving them the opportunity to fix everything structural and I will still buy. (I really do love this house and the neighborhood!) More likely is that he will take the house off the market, make the repairs and put it back on the market at a price to cover the monies that he will have to pay to make the house livable.

If it were just some bad windows, leaking pipes and a garage roof, I would be more flexible. However, it is a non-working heating system (which also means no hot water), a chimney that is pulling away from the house, a rotten front porch AND the house has to be re-wired.

So here is my public service announcement for the week: If you are going to buy a house ALWAYS get a house inspection! Spend the money! Disclosure forms don't always tell the truth. Protect yourself and your investment!

Now, I wait...

1 comment:

CatQuilter said...

Always, always get an inspection - even if you're a seller - since that affords the seller a bit of protection (Speaking from experience!)

Hugs,
Cathy